Puget Sound
April 20th, 2016

A small fire caused by a spark from a neighboring construction project at The Rainier Club has caused the private club to close its kitchen until May 9.

The spark, from the 44-story tower currently underway at Fifth Avenue and Columbia Street, ignited a fire in the club’s mechanical system on the roof Monday, severely damaging it and making it unusable. That mechanical system is an automated duct system that circulates fresh air into the kitchen.

The fire damage was more severe than initially anticipated, according to a club spokesperson, and the kitchen will have to remain closed until a new system and duct work can be installed.

The Rainier Club is still open to members, but it cannot serve food and beverages at this time. The catering team is working with surrounding hospitality partners to relocate its member business scheduled for the next three weeks until they can reopen the kitchen.

“Club staff is diligently working to accommodate club and member private events at downtown venues where it is possible,” the club said in an email to its members Tuesday. “In addition, our partners at the (Washington Athletic Club) and the Columbia Tower Club have graciously opened their doors to Rainier Club members.”

While the kitchen is closed and events are looking to be relocated, members can still use the club’s library, billiards room, business center, parking annex, health club and overnight rooms.

Because the club is still assessing the full scope of the damage, it does not yet have an estimate amount for damages and business loss.