Haley Craig from the Northern Daily reports a fire that severely damaged a Tamworth Chinese restaurant could have been much worse if crews had not arrived when they did, the region’s fire chief has said.

While forensic police examined the scene at the Dragon Palace Chinese Restaurant on Wednesday, nearby business owners have told The Leader they’re thankful the ferocious blaze was stopped in its tracks.

Emergency services were called to the Peel St business just before 1am, after witnesses reported seeing heavy smoke and flames coming from the building.

When crews arrived, they found the back of the building well alight and had to force their way into the kitchen.

It took 16 firefighters from the city’s two stations to bring the blaze under control.

“With the threat of Tamworth firearms next door, it could have been a massive conflagration had they not gotten there as quick as they did.”

‘Superintendent Cooper said it’s believed the fire started in the kitchen, spread into the restaurant and then into the ceiling ducting.’

‘The fire is the second blaze to strike the business in three years after a minor fire at the restaurant in June 2014.’

People took to social media expressing their sadness for this fire tragedy and are hoping the restaurant will re open again.

Another unfortunate fire believed to have started in the kitchen due to poor duct cleaning and grease build up. Shepherd Filters is our extremely affordable and fire protective product that captures up to 98% of grease before it enters your system resulting in your hood/ canopy and kitchen filter frames staying cleaner for longer. No more excess water and chemical usage and quick and easy for any staff member to install.

Take a look at what our customers are saying!!