SF GATE NEWS
APRIL 1, 2016

KENT, Wash. (AP) — Authorities say a strip mall in Kent was evacuated due to a kitchen fire at an Indian restaurant.

Kent Regional Fire Authority Captain Kyle Ohashi says firefighters were dispatched to the mall Friday evening after calls to 911 reported large plumes of black smoke coming from a business.

Firefighters found a fire in the kitchen of the Indian House restaurant on the 25400 block of 104 Avenue Southeast. Ohashi says the fire had been largely contained by the hood and duct fire suppression system and employees using fire extinguishers.

The restaurant, three retail stores and a tavern were evacuated as a precaution. Ohashi says no one was injured and that damage appears to be limited to the kitchen.

He says it’s unknown when the restaurant will reopen.