Michigan Live
December 13th, 2016

ANN ARBOR, MI – Smoke that prompted agencies from across Washtenaw County to respond the University Hospital Tuesday, Dec. 13, was caused by a grease fire that started in a cafeteria.

The Ann Arbor Fire Department responded to an emergency call around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday for a report of smoke.

Public Information Officer Diane Brown said the smoke was related to a grease fire near a grill in the cafeteria. Fire crews stayed on scene for more than two hours, checking for possible flames and running water through the duct work near the cafeteria, Brown said.

They were able to extinguish the fire,” Brown said.

Fire crews also conducted some air quality monitoring in the cafeteria, Brown said. Some firefighters had a ladder truck set up and were seen atop one of the hospital buildings.

Also responding to the scene were the Scio Township Fire Department, Ann Arbor Township Fire Department, University Hospital security and Huron Valley Ambulance.

There were no reported injuries, Brown said, and the only impact at the moment to staff and the public are limited services in the cafeteria. The grill where the fire originated was damaged, and Brown did not know if it could be repaired or the cost of damage.