The Roanoke Times
Oct 5th, 2015

A fire in the kitchen ventilation system shut down a Vinton Burger King restaurant Monday.

The Hardy Road restaurant’s fire suppression system had activated and put out the fire by the time Roanoke County firefighters responded about 11 a.m., according to a Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department news release. Employees had called 911 and evacuated the restaurant. Firefighters discharged a fire extinguisher in the kitchen hood system to make sure the fire was out.

Investigators found the fire began inside the ventilation duct for the restaurant’s broiler, the release said. The flames were contained to the duct system.

No one was injured, according to the release. The restaurant sustained no structural damage but will remain closed until the kitchen hood suppression system can be repaired and cleaned. Damages were estimated at $10,000.