Sydney Morning Herald
Oct 1st, 2015

About 80 people have been forced to evacuate from Surry Hills one-hat restaurant Nomad after a fire in the kitchen spread to the chimney ducting.

The fire has now been extinguished and no injuries have been reported.

“We have five fire trucks on the scene … They’ve only just put the fire out [about 2.05pm], so I have no idea of the extent of damage,” a Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said.

The fire brigade was called to the popular restaurant on Foster Street about 1.45pm, as lunch service was in full swing.

Co-owners Al Yazbek and Rebecca Littlemore said they hoped the restaurant would be open again by lunchtime on Friday.

“Our systems are all in check so that when incidents like this occur it is dealt with quickly and effectively,” they said via a press release.

“There is internal damage within our duct work that contractors will be attending to this afternoon and into the night, with a view to reopening tomorrow lunchtime.”

They confirmed the restaurant itself had not sustained any damage and no staff nor patrons were hurt.