According to the Columbia Fire Department, a popular restaurant by the name of California Dreaming in South Carolina, USA was damaged by a kitchen exhaust fire that broke out inside the business near closing time at 10pm Sunday night on 17 June 2018. Luckily, there were no reported injuries as the staff and the few remaining customers left in the restaurant had been evacuated. On California Dreaming’s Facebook page, it was noted that the restaurant fortunately only incurred a minimal amount of damage and the restaurant level itself is unharmed, a lucky escape on this occasion and a timely warning to review the frequency of their kitchen duct cleaning procedures.
“The fire occurred very high in one of the kitchen exhaust hood ducts that vents through the attic of our historic building to the roof. No fire was present in the kitchen and no one was injured,” Amber Stewart with Carolina Dreaming said in a statement. “Thank you for your concern and well wishes. We look forward to serving everyone as early as this evening at 4pm.”
This kitchen exhaust fire was 100% avoidable and has hopefully instigated the restaurant owners info looking at better preventative measures such as disposable, fire retardant kitchen grease filters.
This is the second California Dreaming location in South Carolina to experience a fire. In September 2017, the Charleston location was damaged by fire, the cause of which was determined to be flood-related electrical wiring damage.