The Dominion Post NZ reported that firefighter’s were called to a commercial kitchen fire at the Manners Street McDonald’s.
Flames rose above the golden arches after deep frying turned bad in central Wellington early on Thursday June 9th, 2016.
The commercial kitchen fire in the McDonald’s fast food restaurant caused buses between Willis St and Lambton Quay to be diverted for about an hour.
When crews arrived, the deep fryer was on fire and flames were coming out of the restaurant’s roof.
Firefighters used ladders to pour water down the flue and onto deep fryer. The restaurant was filled with smoke.
Assistant commander Gareth Hughes said an unattended deep-fryer was most likely the cause but he could not rule out an equipment fault.
Fires are common in restaurants and typically start in the kitchen area. Cooking materials are the most frequent ‘first item’ ignited. Experience shows that the majority
of kitchen fires will involve the kitchen exhaust hood or ductwork. Ductwork seams must therefore be grease-tight, otherwise grease will leak out onto ceilings and roofs, generating a secondary fire hazard.
Smoke could earlier be seen inside the building. Power was cut to the kitchen, to avoid a second flare-up. The situation was causing traffic backups around the city. Bus lanes opened again by about 8am.
The ignition of cooking materials accounts for almost half of all commercial kitchen fires and almost all of these (90 per cent) get into the kitchen hood exhaust system. Many restaurants never re-open after suffering a fire loss. Insurance policies may exclude claims related to uncleaned or grease-laden exhaust ducts. Insurers are aware
of these fire risks – are you?