Shepherd Filters are disposable kitchen grease filters made from Australian wool.
Yes, filters are designed to retrofit to existing kitchen hoods.
In terms of food safety, as the Shepherd Filter has no real direct contact at all with the food produced, there would be no risk.
Based on the relative position of the filter in the hood and the Shepherd Filters construction, as well as the fact that the filters are made of wool, a non-combustible material, the use of the UL listed grease filters in an existing hood will not alter the hoods function or operation, or infringe on the certification of the existing hood.
Our product has been tested, listed and certified to all or more of the same standards that your current metal filters have been subjected to. With that said, the liability should not change at any level.
If the Shepherd filters are maintained properly, you will experience much cleaner kitchen exhaust duct and canopy, and Kitchen duct cleaning will be greatly reduced.
*Times may vary due to hours used per day and types of cooking.
Shepherd Filters is the result of many years of development-receiving UL 1046, UL 710, UL300 and UL900/ULCS111 standards in 2006, as well as AS1668 Shepherd Filters – is patented in the USA, Australia and New Zealand and protected in numerous countries due to the specific natural formula of the product in regards to weight and loft, which optimize the capture and containment of the grease particles without a restriction of airflow to the exhaust hood system.
- AS 1668.2 E6 Kitchen Exhaust Hoods Incorporating Grease Removal Devices
- NFPA 96 Standard for Ventilation Control and Fire Protection of Commercial Cooking Operations
- NSF/ANSI 2 Minimum food protection and sanitation requirements for the materials, design, fabrication, construction and performance of food handling and processing equipment
- NSF169 Special Purposes Food Equipment and Devices
- UL1046 Flame Test.
- UL710 Abnormal Flare-up Flame Test.
- UL300 Commercial Cooking Controls.
- UL900 Standards For Air Filter Units.
- ULCS111 Standard Method Of Fire Tests For Air Filter units
Shepherd Filters is proud to be a Member of IKECA and AIRAH