A fire caused extensive damage to a KFC outlet at Riverwood at around around 7am in late February 2018. Fire and rescue crews responded after a large volume of smoke was seen billowing from the premises on the corner of Belmore Road and Short Road.
Riverwood was the first fire crew on the scene and then called for further assistance to crews from Mortdale, Lakemba, Hurstville, Bankstown and Kogarah, all of which responded.
Firefighters entered the building, which was unoccupied at the time and located the source of the first in a chimney flue. Due the location of the fire in the chimney and heavy smoke in the building, crews found it difficult to access and extinguish the source of the blaze.
They were able to bring the fire under control by 7.45am and it was completely extinguished by 9am.
The fire caused extensive damage to the chimney flue, upstairs administration area and the roof space. The Fire Investigations Unit was called in when fire crews were unable to find the cause of the blaze. It was later found to be caused when oil residue in the chimney flue caught alight.
There were thus no suspicious circumstances, however it begs the question as to whether the kitchen ducts were being cleaned regularly enough? Could such a potentially devastating event have been avoided through the use of kitchen grease filters?
Luckily on this occasion, KFC was able to re-open for business later that morning and is fully operational once again.