According to Fosters, firefighters quickly knocked down a fire at McDonald’s on Friday, November 25th 2016.
According to Assistant Fire Chief Stephen Cutter, the fire at McDonald’s broke out in the ducts when the morning crew started the restaurant’s fry-a-lator at around 4 a.m.
The cause of the flames was old grease accumulation, Cutter said.
The fire did not spread beyond the ducts, and firefighters were able to snuff it out quickly enough so to fully clear the scene less than an hour later.
The restaurant, located at 1008 Main Street, did not sustain any structural damage, Cutter said. Nor was anybody injured in the incident.
The restaurant remained closed for a while, as the fire marshal investigated the incident and a cleaning service cleaned the premises.
Grease vapour accumulation is one of the most serious hazards to a commercial cooking area. Proper management of this hazard, a very achievable task, would
greatly reduce the risk of more serious fires.
Deep frying creates grease that is very much like translucent creosote. When there is a large amount of water in the foods cooked, as in the case of frozen food, the buildup can have an almost shiny appearance. It is as hard as multiple layers of shellac. High volume grease-producing foods include: potatoes (starch), sugar based foods (i.e. pies and turnovers, sugar = carbon) and frozen products (ice = moisture). Fresh breaded foods such as battered chicken or fish can create large volumes of rather soft (flour filled) grease.
Contact Shepherd Filters today to stop up to 98% of such kitchen grease accumulation from occurring!