One resident in the 1320 Fillmore Avenue condos next door said she’s had to evacuate three times in the past five years because of grease fires at 131 Main. Hannan said residents would not be allowed to return to their condos until they’re declared safe.
The two firefighters, Hannan said, were treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Restaurants in buildings are a fire hazard. When a restaurant is located in a larger building or complex, such as a hotel, hospital, mall, airport or multi-storey residential development, the risks increase exponentially.
There continues to be grease fire incidents involving the mechanical exhaust ventilation systems of commercial kitchens. Given the presence of heat and high fuel loads,
fires in kitchens are not uncommon. However, when the incident extends into the mechanical exhaust system, safety risks and building impacts can rapidly escalate, sometimes resulting in devastating and widespread damage.
In some cases, a building owner and a building tenant will have split responsibilities for system maintenance and cleaning, because the hood and filter are located
within the tenancy, and the exhaust duct and fan are located in a common or core building area. In these circumstances the scheduled maintenance programs should be coordinated and the individual responsibilities made explicitly clear. Ultimately it is the building owner that holds the regulatory responsibility for fire safety at the premises.
State regulatory authorities, local council permits, insurance companies, building owners, facilities managers, and landlords all impose maintenance responsibilities
on the owners and operators of kitchen exhaust systems.
In Australia for example, kitchens are reported as the Nº.1 source of fires in buildings, identified as the source of 25 per cent of all structural fires (up to 50 per cent in commercial buildings). Don’t become another statistic, contact Shepherd Filters today and help us stop grease fire stories from being so prevalent in the news!