WXPI News reported that diners and workers at the McDonald’s fast food restaurant in Marshall Township were forced to evacuate the building Monday night April 11th, 2016 when a grease fire started in the kitchen.
Fire officials said the flames started underneath the fryers and filled the establishment with smoke.
“Both our units here have compressed air foam. It’s a little different. It put it right out,” Marshall Township Fire Chief Phil Macmillan said.
No one was injured. The fire marshal is investigating the fire. It was not clear when the McDonald’s would re-open.
Portable fire extinguishers and fire blankets provide an important first-defence role in kitchen fire safety. Extinguishers should be suitable for use on oil and fat fires, and comply with the Australian Standard applicable to the extinguishing agent used (AS 1841 series). Never put water on a grease fire. The most popular kitchen extinguisher is dry chemical foam or powder.
The single most important thing you can do to keep your systems safe from grease fires is to regularly inspect and keep the system clean.
You should also make sure you are correctly insured, and discuss with your cleaning contractor any safety hazards or compliance issues in your system.
Shepherd Filters are always more than happy to help and provide you with a no-obligation free risk assessment, so contact us today!