The Burger King at 10th and Rancier Avenue was closed Tuesday morning after a fire broke out in a duct and filled the building with smoke.
Firefighters were sent Tuesday morning to the building after a caller reported seeing smoke and flames coming from the roof.
Fire officials at the scene said the fire started in kitchen ducting from kitchen grease build-up in an exhaust system.
A fire marshal was sent to the scene as a matter of routine according to the Killeen Daily Herald.
Firefighters had the blaze doused quickly and no one was hurt, but the business was closed for at least the rest of the day.
No estimate of damage was released.
Potentially devastating grease fires in commercial restaurants are often caused by improper kitchen exhaust maintenance, negligence of safety standards, and cleaning contractors that may not be doing the right thing.
Here are the four grease fire facts you need to know:
Fact 1: Grease fires start when airborne oil and grease from cooking build up in a kitchen’s exhaust filter, travel through the hood and ducts all the way to the roof, blocking ventilation and reducing airflow.
Fact 2: The Australian Institute of Refrigeration, Air Conditioning and Heating (AIRAH) indicates that the ignition of cooking materials accounts for almost half of all commercial kitchen fires in Australia, the UK, and the US.
Fact 3: 90% of the time, fire spreads through the exhaust system.
Fact 4: It only takes two millimetres of grease to pose a severe fire risk, and a grease fire can burn through a typical fast-food style restaurant in as little as five minutes.
Shepherd Filters are a simple solution to ensure kitchen exhaust systems stay clean. Made from fire-retardant wool, the filters sit inside state-of-the-art stainless steel frames and capture 98% of airborne grease. They are easily replaceable and cost-effective. Shepherd Filters are also environmentally friendly and support Australian wool farmers and people with disability. Contact us to find out more today!