Seven fire trucks responded to a structure fire at a Traralgon restaurant on 24th June after the kitchen caught fire.
Emergency services were called to Hungry Jack’s, located in Argyle Street, at about 7pm according to the Latrobe Valley Express.
The fire spread to the roof of the premises and was brought under control just after 7:40pm.
About 20 people were safely evacuated from the restaurant, however, ambulance services on scene treated one man for smoke inhalation. The man was transported to Latrobe Regional Hospital in a stable condition.
The Country Fire Authority believe the fire was caused by a deep-fryer.
Traralgon South resident Sue was dining at Hungry Jack’s at the time of the fire began.
She said there were a “decent amount” of people in the restaurant and she was not alerted to the fire until a “young” staff member asked her to evacuate the building.
“I was facing the opposite way so I wasn’t aware there was a fire until someone came up to me and told me I had to evacuate,” she said.
“[The staff] were very good. They were checking the toilets.”
Maria and Tiffany Keane live next door to the Hungry Jack’s restaurant and said emergency services kept them well-informed about what was happening.
In Australia, kitchens are reported as the number one source of fires in buildings. Unattended cooking is the number one source of fires in kitchens, and these typically occur directly below the kitchen exhaust hood. Kitchen canopy cleaning helps operators meet regulatory responsibilities, including fire safety. Keeping kitchen exhaust systems free from grease build-up is a messy and ongoing task, which can be rectified with the use of the Shepherd Filters solution. Made from 100% bio-degradable and fire-retardant wool, Shepherd Filters stop up to 98% of grease from entering the kitchen exhaust. This not only reduces the frequency of costly kitchen canopy cleaning, but gives restaurant owners added peace-of-mind that they are protecting their hood from grease build-up between cleans too!
Contact us today to find out more.