Every week, kitchen grease fires break out in restaurants and cafe’s, often burning entire buildings to the ground and injuring (or killing) anybody caught in the blaze.
The owners of iconic St Kilda restaurant the Stokehouse have vowed to rebuild it after it was destroyed by a fire, sending shock waves through the community.
Frank and Sharon Van Haandel, who would have celebrated 25 years of running the popular beachside landmark this year, said they were “totally devastated”.
But in what would be a relief for the thousands of Melbournians and visitors alike who flock to the venue each week, the Van Haandels say they will do everything they can to bring it back to its former glory.
About 200 diners were evacuated from the restaurant after the lights flickered on and off and a staff member reported a fire in the kitchen about 11pm on Friday.
It took more than 70 firefighters, three hours to bring the blaze under control.
Fire investigators told the Herald Sun grease in the flue, combined with this week’s scorching temperatures is believed to have ignited the blaze.
Little was left of the 110-year-old historic building on Saturday, as it continued to smoulder before an excavator demolished the charred structure that remained.
Although regulatory standards and insurance requirements impose strict guidelines on kitchen exhaust hoods, there is a lack of knowledge on proper maintenance of kitchen grease build-up. What’s more, contractors sometimes fail to uphold these safety standards. Many restaurant owners are unaware of the potential for poor workmanship and often misleading reports from industry professionals. This poses a serious risk to the public, buildings and business owners and it can happen in any venue.
Take the time to educate yourself, check your hood for kitchen grease accumulation and speak to someone you trust within the industry to ensure you are not left at risk. Shepherd Filters are always happy to support and assist you with any questions that may arise, so contact us today!