A McDonald’s in Bridgeport will be closed for two weeks after a kitchen duct fire early Saturday morning.
Crews were called to the McDonald’s on Main Street around 1 a.m. after getting a report of a structure fire.
When crews arrived, they said they found a working fire in the kitchen duct work that had extended to the roof.
The restaurant is expected to remain closed for two weeks while repairs take place, officials said.
The Health Department was called to the restaurant after the fire.
The Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating according to the NBC.
There continues to be fire incidents involving the mechanical exhaust ventilation systems of commercial kitchens. Given the presence of heat and high fuel loads, fires in kitchen duct work and exhaust systems in general are not uncommon. However, when the incident extends into the kitchen duct work and the rest of the exhaust system, safety risks and building impacts can rapidly escalate and result in devastating and widespread damage.
Fire statistics from Australia, the UK and the US show that fires in restaurants predominately occur in kitchens. The ignition of cooking materials accounts for almost half of all commercial kitchen fires and almost all of these (90 per cent) get into the kitchen duct work. Many restaurants never re-open after suffering a fire loss. Insurance policies may exclude claims related to uncleaned or grease-laden exhaust ducts. Insurers are aware of these fire risks – are you?
Insurance is for when a fire occurs, yet it can surely be agreed that kitchen duct cleaning prevents fires from occurring in the first place and this should be the overall objective for anyone. Sometimes there is a potential fire risk even weeks after a duct clean due to grease accumulation in between cleans or sub-standard cleans in general. Kitchen exhaust fires due to grease build-up leads to insurance companies rejecting claims to rebuild or never covering the loss of income.
Kitchen duct cleaning prevents fires and the Shepherd Filters solution goes one step further by reducing the risk of grease build-up in kitchen exhaust systems between cleans. This not only equates to less kitchen duct cleaning in the long-run, but keeps the chance of fire spreading down and any fire suppression systems can function and perform properly. Sleep well knowing that grease build-up is not an issue you no longer have to deal with and contact us today!