If you are wanting to defer your routine kitchen exhaust cleaning for when better times return, we urge you to reconsider.
Managing expenses has never been more difficult for those businesses that have been able to switch to takeaway operations during the COVID-19 outbreak. It’s tough, however, routine kitchen exhaust cleaning and maintenance should remain a top priority.
For those lucky businesses that still have some income coming through, the last thing needed is a kitchen grease fire which could have devastating consequences like in the story below:
Emergency crews were called to the popular Peacock Gardens in Crows Nest just after 4pm last Tuesday.
After receiving multiple triple-0 calls from residents and surrounding office workers, crews arrived to find flames and smoke billowing from ventilation shafts in the roof of the building.
The fire was later traced to the kitchen of the restaurant where workers were preparing takeaway meals for the evening rush.
There were flames and smoke coming from the roof and once we made sure the building was evacuated we were able to attack the fire.
There was a lot of damage to the building, mostly within the kitchen but also the ducting system and smoke damage to the upper levels as well.
Fire & Rescue NSW said a male employee of the business, aged in his 40s, was taken to hospital to be treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation.
Approximately 50 people self-evacuated from the building and surrounding offices as a precaution according to The Daily Telegraph.
Restaurant manager Evelyn Lee said the fire had forced the business to close to customers until further notice.
“The fire burnt through the kitchen so we’ve had to close until we can get everything back up and running again,” she said.
“It’s come at a terrible time – with coronavirus it’s been a very hard time, not only for us but the whole industry.”
“We were still serving takeaway meals and cooking for home deliveries but our customer numbers have been down.”
“(The fire) was an accident – we’re just thankful emergency crews were able to contain it.”
“We’re hoping to re-open as soon as we can.”
Fire and Rescue NSW said the fire was extinguished by 5pm.
Crews from Neutral Bay, Willoughby and the City of Sydney also responded to the incident.
The single most important thing you can do to keep your business safe is to regularly inspect and keep the system free from grease. Contact SHEPHERD FILTERS to arrange an obligation-free fire risk assessment.