Firefighters believe an overheated kitchen exhaust fan was responsible for a fire that burnt out a hotel kitchen in Horsham on Sunday night 2nd September 2018.
Country Fire Authority Region 17 operations officer Alfred Mason said the fire, which started about 6.40pm at the Commercial Hotel in Wilson Street, had started near the kitchen exhaust fan.
He said a build-up of kitchen grease was the most likely the cause of the kitchen exhaust fan becoming overheated according to The Weekly Advertiser.
“We received multiple calls about reports of the hotel roof being on fire and smoke coming out of ducting. But the fire was contained to only the kitchen, a single-storey building added onto the hotel,” he said.
“This meant there was only minimal damage to the hotel overall, but extensive damage to the kitchen.”
Mr Mason said about 60 hotel patrons were evacuated and electricity and gas supplies disconnected as firefighters took between 30 and 40 minutes to control the blaze.
He said access issues meant firefighters took longer than they would have liked to fully extinguish the fire. Horsham Fire Brigade attended the incident and based on initial fears that firefighters might be confronting a roof fire, Vectis and Murtoa brigades provided support.
Ballarat City brigade also attended with a ladder and pumper.
Mr Mason said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the fire.
Hotel owner Gary Jelly said he hoped to re-open a bar area by tomorrow night.
The Horsham Regional Art Gallery is closed until further notice due to the fire.
All scheduled art classes will run as scheduled.
Yet another story that highlights the importance of kitchen hood cleaning, which should include the kitchen exhaust fan.
When don regularly, these cleans result in:
- Improved health standards
- An enhanced sanitary image
- Improved ventilation for customers and staff comfort
- Increased energy savings
- Compliance with health codes
- A decrease in the likelihood of common maintenance problems such as worn fans or motors; and
- Reduces your fire risk
Kitchen grease is a flash fire waiting to happen. During cooking, it manages to travel through metal kitchen grease filters and into the exhaust system, including kitchen exhaust fans.
Reduce your fire risk and install Shepherd Filters to stop grease from building up on the kitchen exhaust fan (and the remainder of the kitchen exhaust system).
Save money by reducing the frequency of your kitchen hood cleaning schedule with Shepherd Filters, which stop up to 98% of airborne grease from getting past the kitchen grease filter.
Contact us today to get your free risk assessment.