A fire in the kitchen extraction duct ventilation system shut down a Vinton Burger King restaurant on Monday according to The Roanoke Times.
The Hardy Road restaurant’s fire suppression system had activated and put out the fire by the time Roanoke County firefighters responded about 11 a.m., according to a Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department news release. Employees had called 911 and evacuated the restaurant. Firefighters discharged a fire extinguisher in the kitchen hood system to make sure the fire was out.
Investigators found the fire began inside the ventilation duct for the restaurant’s broiler, the release said.
Luckily, no-one was injured, according to the release.
The restaurant sustained no structural damage but will remain closed until the kitchen hood suppression system can be repaired and cleaned. Damages were estimated at $10,000.
The team at Shepherd Filters would like to warn readers, especially those who own and/or manage commercial kitchens, of the fire risks associated with failing to have the extraction duct cleaned, or adequately maintained. The build-up of flammable fats, dust and grease may prevent extraction duct ventilation systems from working properly and contribute to the rapid spread of fire.
Most insurance companies require this as a condition of your building insurance policy and your cover may be invalidated if regular maintenance and extraction duct cleaning is not carried out.
Moreover, extraction duct fires often result in significant financial loss, with a high risk of injury and even death.
It is particularly important to consider and put in place the right fire safety arrangements to protect not only the lives of you, your family, employees and customers, but also your property and your business.
A simple solution is now available to businesses large and small to stop up to 98% of airborne grease from getting past your kitchen grease filter and into the extraction duct to build up. Shepherd Filters are a disposable kitchen grease media made from 100% wool, which is naturally flame-resistant. Wool may be ignited if subjected to a significantly powerful heat source, but does not normally support flame, and will instead smoulder, usually only for a short time. Wool’s flame-resistant properties make it an ideal fibre for kitchen grease filters, helping to reduce the risk of fire spreading. But what about its absorption? Wool is good at repelling water and absorbing oil. To boot, it is environmentally-friendly, bio-degradable and a renewable resource.
So take a moment to check your hood and extraction duct. Is it due for a clean? Are you unsure? Contact Shepherd Filters and we will help you to get your system clean and KEEP IT CLEAN.