McDonald’s Fire In Broken Bow
No April Fool’s joke here according to Sandhills Express, when a snowy Easter Sunday morning began with a grease fire at the McDonald’s in Broken Bow.
Fire and EMS Coordinator Andy Holland said the grease fire started in the kitchen area of the restaurant. It occurred around 7am on Sunday the 1st of April 2018. He said there were no injuries.
Broken Bow Fire crews were able to get the fire under control, ventilated the building, and left the scene at 8:17am. The restaurant’s fire suppression system had been activated according to Holland.
Holland reported that 15 firefighters responded to the McDonald’s grease fire. This brings the total of Broken Bow Fire to 16 since the start of 2018. KCNI/KBBN reached out to the staff at McDonald’s who confirmed the restaurant was open during the grease fire and no injuries were reported.
This April Fool’s Day fire fell on the 11th anniversary of the Broken Bow south side fires which destroyed about five businesses on the square. Assistance was required from 13 area fire departments.
McDonald’s owner Greg Hall said the grease fire started after a fryer malfunctioned as an employee was performing daily filtering and cleaning. The fire suppression system and a fire extinguisher were activated but were not enough to put out the fire. Hall said there were reports of flames seen from the roof through the exhaust system. Structurally speaking, the building is intact, according to Hall.
However, Hall reported that McDonald’s would be closed for 1-2 weeks due to the damage in the fryer area. The kitchen ceiling and lighting fixtures are to be replaced because of smoke and heat damage.
Hall and his brother have owned the Broken Bow location of the fast-food chain for about one year. Beginning April 16, the restaurant will undergo a scheduled remodel to give it a “more modern look” as Hall says. We can expect to see new exterior and roof, new bathrooms and tiles. The remodel will also feature some self-ordering kiosks.
Grease Fire Prevention
It only takes two millimetres of grease to pose a severe fire risk! A grease fire can burn through a typical fast food style restaurant in as little as five minutes. Kitchen grease fires are preventable, contact Shepherd Filters today to learn more.