A MANAGER at McDonald’s Braeside is helping fire crews battle the blaze after the fast food restaurant went up in flames.
The manager, who is also a member of the Springvale CFA, is reportedly helping fireys on scene.
A CFA spokeswoman said crews had contained the flames to the roof of the restaurant and deemed the fire under control at 9.02am.
Diners and staff were forced to evacuate after smoke began billowing from the McDonalds kitchen about 8.30am.
About 11 staff members were evacuated. It’s unknown how many patrons were inside at the time.
Ambulance Victoria is on standby and there are no reported injuries.
CFA and MFB crews were called to the fast food restaurant, on the corner of Centre Dandenong Rd and Boundary Rd.
Witnesses reported thick smoke plumes billowing from the roof.
John, a caller to 3AW, said the fire was ‘substantial’.
“I couldn’t see any flames, but there are billows of smoke coming from the roof,” he said.
Another witness, Mary, told 3AW there were several fire crews on scene.
“There is fire pouring out of what you’d assume to be the Mcdonalds kitchen,” she said.
“There are multiple fire brigades, police, the road is blocked off, and they have a crane going over the top of the building and water going into where the smokes coming out of.”
There is a petrol station near the restaurant.
A CFA spokeswoman said power and gas had been cut off.
Ambulance Victoria has been called and is on standby.