Kitchen duct fire starts due to grease build up.
According to a Fire Marshall with the Anchorage Fire Department, the fire started inside the kitchen duct when a fan motor seized and failed.
The owners of McGinley’s pub are very fortunate this fire was not worse, they said damage is minimal. The venues patrons were evacuated quickly followed by the pub being closed down for repairs. There are many neighbouring buildings and business’s that were lucky to escape there establishments being caught in the blaze.
Too often we see the tragedy of a fire not only affecting the business in which the fire began but adjoining office building, homes and or restaurants. A kitchen duct fire is a common tragedy.
Cleo Hill, Fire Marshall stated that the fan and motor draws grease vapor through the exhaust hood, but when the fan seized it caught fire, igniting the grease that was trapped in the kitchen duct.
After the grease caught fire, the duct melted and fire continued to burn up through the ceiling. Another scary discovery was the fire burned through the fire alarm wire.
When the fire department arrived there was heavy, thick, black smoke coming from the hood.
It is important to not only have your hood/ canopy & duct work cleaned and maintained but your fan too. Recently we learnt of a restaurant owner who’s fan failed from poor workmanship. Thick grease and oil build up cost him thousands of dollars. Luckily for him this happened before he was tragically faced with a fire. Read about his story here and how installing Shepherd Filters has dramatically changed his commercial kitchen operations.
Shepherd Filters sees and hears of customers who are either not getting the clean carried out frequent enough or the clean has not been done properly. We often see fraudulent cleans, reports or fine prints on contracts carried out by dodgy operators. It is the owner’s responsibility once again to check the workmanship following the clean. This can prove difficult if the area cleaned is not visible or easily accessible to the customer.
The owners of McGinley’s pub were not expecting to have a fire on March 2nd 2018, however due to a failed fan and grease build up they did and unfortunately the risk is high in most kitchens and no restaurant owner can prepare themselves for it.
Contact us today for a friendly chat on how we can help you and your business.