Smoke that prompted agencies from across Washtenaw County to respond the University Hospital Tuesday was caused by a grease fire that started in a cafeteria.
According to Michigan Live, the Ann Arbor Fire Department responded to an emergency call around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday 13 December 2016 for a report of smoke.
Public Information Officer Diane Brown said the smoke was related to a grease fire near a grill in the cafeteria. Fire crews stayed on scene for more than two hours, checking for possible flames and running water through the duct work near the cafeteria, Brown said.
They were able to extinguish the fire,” Brown said.
Fire crews also conducted some air quality monitoring in the cafeteria, Brown said. Some firefighters had a ladder truck set up and were seen atop one of the hospital buildings.
Also responding to the scene were the Scio Township Fire Department, Ann Arbor Township Fire Department, University Hospital security and Huron Valley Ambulance.
There were no reported injuries, Brown said, and the only impact at the moment to staff and the public are limited services in the cafeteria. The grill where the fire originated was damaged, and Brown did not know if it could be repaired or the cost of damage.
One of the most passed over appliances is the commercial kitchen hood and exhaust system. Many jurisdictions have adopted standards like that of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard 96, “Standard for Ventilation Control and Fire Protection of Commercial Cooking Operations” and require compliance to it. Left uncleaned, commercial kitchen exhaust systems eventually accumulate sufficient grease to become a serious fire hazard. Regular kitchen hood cleaning decreases the potential for a fire and increases the overall cleanliness of the kitchen cooking area. Each restaurant has their own schedule for kitchen hood cleaning based on the volume of customers and how often the kitchen is used. Kitchen hood cleaning is a “necessary evil”, as it is often not only expensive, but disruptive. Enter the solution:
Disposable kitchen grease filters from Shepherd Filters capture up to an impressive 98% of airborne grease before it enters your kitchen exhaust system, equating to a cleaner system, year-round. As the amount of grease entering your kitchen exhaust system is greatly reduced, your kitchen hood cleaning schedule will also change for the better!
Contact Shepherd Filters today to see how we can help you save money and prevent grease fires in an environmentally-friendly way!