Emergency services were called to the Northies Hotel Cronulla at about 7.45pm on Wednesday 12 September 2018, after reports of a fire in the kitchen.
Fire fighters extinguished the blaze, which caused moderate damage to the ducting and ceiling in the kitchen area.
There were no reports of injuries according to The Leader.
A police spokesman said the cause of the fire had yet to be determined, but was not being treated as suspicious.
Kitchen hood cleaning is a standard part of routine maintenance of any food service establishment. When grease builds up, a fire hazard automatically exists. Approximately one in three restaurant fires are caused by grease. All restaurant owners and managers should be aware of the role routine maintenance plays in fire prevention and ensure that kitchen hood cleaning done on a regular basis.
Kitchen ventilation systems attract grease and dust at a rate dependent on the foods being cooked and the volume of business.
The primary cause of duct fires in restaurant kitchens is almost always going to be linked to:
- whether or not the restaurant imposes a thorough kitchen hood cleaning schedule as per insurance requirements
- the contracted cleaning company that carries out the kitchen hood cleaning getting away with inferior work
- the inspector failing to catch that inferior kitchen hood cleaning work, or
- some combination thereof.
Once that point is passed, then all it takes is a flame-up on the stove top that isn’t suppressed quickly enough to prevent the greasy duct from catching fire.
You can protect your business from such an event with the use of Shepherd Filters. Made from 100% fire-retardant wool, these kitchen grease filters capture up to 98% of kitchen grease before it has the chance to build-up inside the kitchen hood. Shepherd Filters virtually eliminate the need to clean kitchen grease filters. They also reduce the need for comprehensive kitchen hood cleaning as these become quick spot-checks. Contact us today to get your free risk assessment!