Authorities say a strip mall in Kent was evacuated due to a restaurant fire in the kitchen at an Indian eatery, according to Komonews
Kent Regional Fire Authority Captain Kyle Ohashi says firefighters were dispatched to the mall Friday evening the 1st of April 2016, after calls to 911 reported large plumes of black smoke coming from a business.
Firefighters found a fire in the kitchen of the Indian House restaurant on the 25400 block of 104 Avenue Southeast. Ohashi says the fire had been largely contained by the hood and duct fire suppression system and employees using fire extinguishers.
The restaurant, three retail stores and a tavern were evacuated as a precaution. Ohashi says no one was injured and that damage appears to be limited to the kitchen.
He says it’s unknown when the restaurant will reopen.
Officials are investigating.
caused by kitchen greaseThe majority of commercial kitchen fire losses are caused by grease accumulation in the cooking area and exhaust system and the subsequent malfunction of the kitchen fire suppression equipment. A crucial step you can take to dramatically reduce the likelihood of a restaurant fire caused by kitchen grease involves cleaning the exhaust hood and ducts.
Unfortunately, not all cleaning companies are created equal. A trained professional will clean the commercial kitchen exhaust system to the bare metal, from the exhaust fan, through the duct(s), and including the hood. A not-so-professional contractor may clean the grime from the visible portions of the hood but leave the ducts and fan (i.e., the parts a restaurant owner cannot see) un-cleaned.
It is clear which method results in the safer kitchen environment. We recommend finding a reputable commercial kitchen exhaust system cleaning company that is certified by the International Kitchen Exhaust Cleaning Association (IKECA). Shepherd Filters is a member of IKECA and we welcome you to contact us today!