Firefighters raced to a fire alarm at Helsinki Airport.
A restaurant mishap last Sunday afternoon set of fire alarms in Helsinki Airport. A greasy exhaust from a restaurant grill entered the ventilation system and set off the fire alarm.
Fortunately no one was injured during the incident. Finnish rescue services responded to the fire alarm and traced it to a restaurant kitchen. Officials commented saying the matter was easily resolved and did not present a danger to anyone.
The fire alarm went off shortly after 3pm when a greasy exhaust from a restaurant grill in the T2 terminal entered the ventilation system of the airport.
A total of 16 rescue and fire fighting units responded to the call. The Central Uusimaa Rescue Department reports that the exhaust smoke was due to excessive grease build-up in the restaurants kitchen and that no actual fire had ever occurred.
Grease spread into the ventilation system and caused the alarm.
The restaurants future is in question.
Air traffic was not suspended during the incident and the terminal was not evacuated or shut down in anyway. This was a relief to passengers.
Precautions had been taken for the incident however several people at the terminal spoke that they thought the operation was a drill because the rescue service personnel were so calm and orderly in their activities.
Rescue services are undertaking investigations into the incident and an operational ban for the restaurant in question is being considered.
They estimate that the only real effect of the false alarm was its effect on road traffic. The line up of rescue vehicles prohibited cars from the picking up and dropping off of passengers.
Grease build up in a commercial kitchens exhaust system can cause thick black smoke and or fire. Too many kitchen operators are none the wiser of how much grease is built up in their system so it is important to check the work of your contract duct cleaner and then install Shepherd Filters disposable kitchen grease filters so there is no more second guessing and you know each day you are protecting your business by reducing your fire risk.