A small fire caused by a spark from a neighbouring construction project at The Rainier Club has caused the private club to close its kitchen until May 9.
The spark, from the 44-story tower currently underway at Fifth Avenue and Columbia Street, ignited a fire in the club’s mechanical system on the roof Monday, 20th April 2016. The system was severely damaged and rendered it unusable. That mechanical system is an automated duct system that circulates fresh air into the kitchen according to Puget Sound Business Journal.
The fire damage was more severe than initially anticipated, according to a club spokesperson. The kitchen will have to remain closed until a new kitchen exhaust system and duct work can be installed. It begs the question as to when this establishments last routine grease hood cleaning job was performed?
The Rainier Club is still open to members, but it cannot serve food and beverages at this time. The catering team is working with surrounding hospitality partners to relocate its member business scheduled for the next three weeks until they can reopen the kitchen.
“Club staff is diligently working to accommodate club and member private events at downtown venues where it is possible,” the club said in an email to its members Tuesday. “In addition, our partners at the (Washington Athletic Club) and the Columbia Tower Club have graciously opened their doors to Rainier Club members.”
While the kitchen is closed and events are looking to be relocated, members can still use the club’s library, billiards room, business centre, parking annex, health club and overnight rooms.
Because the club is still assessing the full scope of the damage, it does not yet have an estimate amount for damages and business loss.
The grease and oil released from roof top kitchen exhaust fans is detrimental to almost any roof membrane. Whether your building is a food processing plant, kitchen, restaurant or manufacturing facility ignoring this issue opens you up to unnecessary liabilities, safety hazards, code violations and expensive repairs or replacement. In no real exaggeration, having your roof saturated in kitchen grease is one step away from having it saturated in diesel fuel! It’s just not a good idea. All it takes is a stray spark (as in this case), an electrical short, or even a lightning strike, and the whole place could go up in flames.
The best way to protect your roof is to prevent the grease and oil from ever reaching it. Prevention is really the key here. Make sure you carry out routine grease hood cleaning and go then go one step further with Shepherd Filters. Our disposable kitchen grease filters will effectively trap up to 98% of airborne grease before it has the chance to pass through into the kitchen exhaust system. Routine grease hood cleaning can then be scheduled at longer intervals or at the very least, turn some cleans into quick spot-checks.
With such an expensive asset at stake the minor costs of regular maintenance always outweigh the cost of unnecessary repairs and early roof replacement. You wouldn’t buy and expensive car and then never have the oil changed so don’t ignore your roof. Save money and reduce your risk of fire and contact us today!