A fire has broken out at a restaurant in Crown on Southbank.
Firefighters were called to the scene on Whiteham Street around 10:30am.
The blaze was believed to have started in an eatery, said a spokewoman. ” It was in one of the restaurants, kitchens and the cause was a build up of different materials in the kitchen she said.
Sprinklers went off and the fire was contained to the kitchen. She did not know which restaurant the fire broke out in however it caused the clients at Crown’s day spa to be evacuated.
The smoke could be smelt through the pipes in a gym close to the restaurants.
Kitchen oil and grease build-up starts in the metal filters then travels through the hoods and ducts all the way to the roof. It’s an ongoing problem that needs an easy cost effective solution. Regular metal kitchen exhaust filters only capture between 18 – 20% of airborne grease.