An investigation is underway after ducting at Piccadilly Circus Steak & Co restaurant and nearby office block due to ducting damaged by fire.
Almost 60 firefighters used eight engines to tackle the fire at the Steak & Co restaurant and office block on Monday.
The 60 firefighters were drafted in to tackle a fire at Steak and Co restaurant and multi storey office block near Piccadilly Circus.
Three people were lucky enough to escape before the firefighters arrived around 8:15 am Monday Jan 22nd.
Pictures showed one of the fire engines being used as a giant crane to help extinguish the fire.
All of the ducting from the basement to the fifth floor and part of the ducting on the ground, first, second and third floor were damaged.
Ducting damaged by fire can be difficult to extinguish. Accumulated grease inside of ducts can ignite, with a resultant hot fire that is shielded from attack by the fire department but can spread from the duct and ignite surrounding materials.
The type of structure in which the restaurant is located also poses its own set of challenges. Restaurants can be found in a structure of any size and within any class of building construction, ranging from the small frame building to the high-rise hotel. The configuration of the structure and the severity of the smoke condition also further complicate the size-up of a grease duct fire. Lastly, the time of day can have an impact on the severity of the fire, particularly by delaying the determination of the fire`s location.
Kitchen exhaust cleaning is a standard part of routine maintenance of any cooking establishment. When the buildup of grease becomes heavy, a fire hazard exists. Approximately one of three restaurant fires is caused by grease. All restaurant owners and managers should be aware of the role routine maintenance plays in fire prevention and ensure it is done on a regular basis.