More than 120 firefighters spent up to five hours battling a five-alarm kitchen exhaust system fire on Victoria Street on Sunday 13 November 2016 as per Global News Canada.
The kitchen exhaust system fire broke out around 6 p.m. in a building housing two restaurants — the Lavanderia and Park Restaurant — belonging to Montreal celebrity chef Antonio Park .
According to Yvon Daunais, chief of operations for the Montreal fire department, the blaze may have been caused by a charcoal cooking ember.
Daunais said the ember likely travelled into the kitchen exhaust syste, and the accumulated cooking grease therein fed the fire.
The flames then spread from the first floor, to the roof of the building.
“The damage to the building is more than $100,000,” Daunais said. “The fire spread to the roof and it sustained the most damage.”
There were no reports of injury.
Chef Park took to social media thanking firefighters for their hard work.
Restaurants in buildings are a fire hazard. When a restaurant is located in a larger building or complex, such as a hotel, hospital, mall, airport or multi-storey residential development, the risks increase exponentially. A fire in a kitchen exhaust system in Heathrow Airport shut down three terminals, delayed or cancelled hundreds
of flights, and generated hundreds of millions of dollars in losses that far exceeded the physical damage bill. That fire spread through 200m of exhaust ductwork to a plant room before it was extinguished. Don’t become another statistic. Contact Shepherd Filters today!