It only takes two millimetres of kitchen grease build-up in your extraction system to pose a severe fire risk, and a grease fire can burn through a typical fast-food style restaurant in as little as five minutes.
There are plenty of benefits to using disposable wool kitchen grease filters, yet there are two in particular that deserve more attention.
Fire statistics from Australia, the UK and the USA show that the ignition of cooking materials accounts for almost half of all commercial kitchen fires and almost all these fires (more than 90%) get into the kitchen exhaust system.
Madison Fire District says the fire started in a roof vent stack and spread to the kitchen hood ductwork.
A fire that seems to have been caused by the ignition of grease within the kitchen exhaust system needed 10 fire engines and around 70 firefighters at a shop with flats above on Uxbridge Road in Shepherd’s Bush.
Emergency services were called to the roadhouse, 200km east of Tennant Creek, following reports of a structure fire in the kitchen.
We’d like to take this opportunity to thank Chefs all over the world for the dedication to their craft, for making mealtimes an adventure, and for nourishing and educating future generations!
Part of a ground-floor shop and a five-roomed flat on the first floor of the building were alight. The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by the ignition of grease within the the extraction system.
“The fire involved the kitchen exhaust ducting of a coffee shop on the first floor of the building”, SCDF said in response to a CNA query.
Unavoidable fact – airborne grease collected by metal kitchen grease filters eventually gets extracted further into system components such as the hood, ductwork, and fan.